Sunday, July 15, 2012

Balancing Security and Sanctuary

A man approaches me on the street. "My car broke down," he says, "and my wallet is at home. I have to take a bus to get there, and I just need two more dollars for the fare. Can you help me?"


I am a trusting person; I give him the two dollars. Then I watch him walk on and say the same thing to someone else at the end of the block.


I am also an optimistic person. I leave home without an umbrella. I cheerfully commit to very tight deadlines for projects. I volunteer to talk to unhappy people. Except for thinking that the weather will always be sunny, (which is denial, not optimism),  I believe that people and situations generally tend to work out for the best. 


I trust people until I can't trust them anymore. The things I have lost in my lifetime because I trusted someone have been a few dollars, a car that came back dented, and a couple of underpaid professional years. I have the luxury of trust and optimism because my world is populated with people whose motivations I know and with whom relationships can be built or repaired. 


This is not true for synagogues. In May 2011, two men were arrested for allegedly plotting to attack a Manhattan synagogue. Earlier this year, four synagogues in Northern New Jersey were targets of violent attacks, including a molotov cocktail tossed into the window of the rabbi's home. In the Manhattan case, the suspects discussed dressing as worshippers to enter the building.


As sacred communities, our kehillot are sanctuaries. They are places where our sacred actions create the feeling of refuge and protection. Safety is the prerequisite for creating sanctuary. Unfortunately, in order to build safety, the leaders of our kehillot need to pay attention to the work of security and safety that puts trust and optimism on hold.


Do you have procedures for dealing with suspicious phone calls, packages, visitors or vehicles? What will you do with property in case of fire or flood? How do you create a welcoming atmosphere that also protects the people in your building?


Rabbi Paul Drazen, United Synagogue's special assistant to the CEO, has prepared resources to begin asking the right questions to assess security and safety measures, and has arranged for a security webinar by Secure Community Networks on Thursday, August 23, 2012 at 2:00 EDT. 


As the High Holidays approach, this is the time to review the security of our buildings with clarity so that we can open the doors to our kehillot with trust and optimism.





No comments:

Post a Comment